Vicksburg Fire Claims Life Of Double Amputee

VICKSBURG, MS (Ben Caxton) — A Vicksburg house fire has killed a wheelchair-bound occupant. The Tuesday morning blaze on Marcus street claimed the life of 62-year-old Deborah Sweet. Firefighters battling arcing power lines and searing flames could not reach Sweet before she was overcome by the extreme heat and smoke. Sweet’s family tried to use portable fire extinguishers to reach her while waiting for help to arrive but were driven back by the large fire, according to the Vicksburg Fire Department. The flames were so intense that the fire caused heat damage to homes on either side of the house, melting the electrical meters and the city gas meter dial at the house on the right side of the fire. The fire also burned nearby power lines, causing them to pop and shower sparks on firefighters. Sweet, a double amputee was confined to a wheelchair. She was discovered by fire investigators about 15 feet from her front door. Fire Chief Craig Danczyk said an investigation by city and county fire investigators and the state Fire Marshal’s office indicated the fire may have started in the front living room, around an electrical outlet.

 


RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Be the first to comment on "Vicksburg Fire Claims Life Of Double Amputee"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*