Local fire officials are emphasizing that space heaters must be used safely, following a few recent fires that were blamed on space heaters

December 16, 2013
By

A fire last week on Greenville’s Hughes Street was determined to be have been sparked by a space heater. A mother and three small children lost their home in that blaze. In Coahoma County, a 56-year-old woman died on Thanksgiving Day after a space heater set fire to flammable items in her home. Officials say the house was fully engulfed when they arrived, and Johnny Riley did not get out in time. Fire officials cautioned that heating equipment is the leading case of house fires during the winter months, and that space heaters must not be left unattended and should be kept at least three feet away from anything that can burn, such as clothes or furniture.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Delta Weather Roundup